March 28, 2014

The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

Kate's going through some rough patches. Her perfect boyfriend dumped her out of the blue, she's having one hell of a time dealing with the recent diagnosis of her diabetes. Along comes her bff's cousin, Aidan--a veteran back home from Afghanistan dealing with the loss of his arm. Older, good looking, seemingly interested in her--the perfect distraction from her problems, right?

I think Jolene hit Kate's character spot on. She's your typical seventeen year old who thinks she's invincible. Diabetes can't keep her down--if she ignores it, it'll just go away, right? She does NOT have the time or energy to devote to maintaining this disease. She's self-absorbed, she's blunt and to the point--I love it. She reminds me of me when I her age. I was totally right there with her while she was dealing with her feelings post-break-up with Shelton. I, too, hit a breaking point when my perfect highschool boyfriend broke up with me...

Aidan is a war veteran at the young age of nineteen. He's got his whole life ahead of him but he cannot feel anymore lost after returning home (less an arm) from Afghanistan. He's going through the usual frustration of trying to figure out what to do with himself for the rest of his life. On top of the usual problems, he's got the added stress of dealing with the affects war has had on him--both physically and mentally. He's a strong fellow and it was nice to see him work things out--it doesn't always work out so well for everyone.

I definitely enjoyed The Summer I Found You. It was not too deep but it had enough of an interesting/different kind of story to keep a reader interested. The story hosts relatable characters (hi, Kate is living my seventeenth year of life, I swear!!) and focusses on real life problems (dealing with diabetes). Kate and Aidan are two young and fresh teens and they're falling in love--and who can hate on that?


My Rating: 4 Stars - LOVED IT


Purchase the Kindle edition of The Summer I Found You now:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment